tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slow downloads through mod_jk on Windows XP
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 09:51:13 GMT
On 05/11/2012 12:36 AM, Andy Wang wrote:
> So I cannot reproduce the slow down to 4-5MB/s on the same VM I was able to reproduce
it on once I copied the VM to an adequate vmware server. But I do see some neat numbers in
case people care.

I was following this tread and was hoping that someone will say:
"Do not use workstation grade software for server applications"
but no. XP (Win7 falls in the same category) has good network stack
but focused on client applications.
There is a good reason why MS charges extra $$ for server versions
since they make sure your server application don't perform well on
workstation software.

> I'm not sure what to make of the customer reports of the slow downs but at this point,
I'm going to have to ask them to use something like ab.exe to do the downloads instead of
Internet Explorer (most of them use IE to do it). Maybe there's some stupidity
> with IE.

IE tries to open several concurrent connection at once (RFC says that number is max 3)
I'm sure you can simulate that with 'ab -c 10 -k -n 10000 ...'

> Anyways, I'm closing the book on this (with a bookmark just in case) but wanted to provide
the numbers in case people were curious what I got.

There is nothing wrong with tomcat, mod_jk or httpd.
It's just your use case.

Regards
--
^TM