tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: munin tomcat and mysql
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 07:37:43 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Miguel,
>
> On 5/7/12 12:16 PM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>> Since it's a virtual machine, is munin going to take many
>> resources of my system or is it a light tool?
>
> Maybe ask on the Munin list?
>
>> Does anyone know of any nice tutorial of installing in CentOS and
>> Tomcat? I find many articles about installing in CentOS and Apache,
>> but not Tomcat
>
> It appears that Munin is written in Perl, which isn't the best
> environment for deploying into Tomcat. Tomcat does support CGI (you'll
> have to enable it: there is fairly clear documentation on how to set
> it up) but it's probably more appropriate to use Apache httpd or one
> of the lighter HTTP servers out there (lighttpd, nginx, etc.).

 From the munin website :
"Munin uses the excellent RRDTool (written by Tobi Oetiker) and the framework is written
in Perl, while plugins may be written in any language. Munin has a master/node
architecture in which the master connects to all the nodes at regular intervals and asks
them for data. It then stores the data in RRD files, and (if needed) updates the graphs.
One of the main goals has been ease of creating new plugins (graphs)."

In other words, "munin" functionally consists of 2 parts :

1) a series of "agent plugins" which run on the machine being monitored.  They
periodically collect information about the machine and store it (essentially as numbers)
in some local file(s).
These processes are generally lightweight, and they can be written in any language.  So a

munin agent monitoring Tomcat could be written in Java, and it could be a standalone
module or a webapp.

2) the "server", or "display" part of munin.  That is written in Perl, and usually runs on

a separate machine.  It periodically contacts the agents in (1), retreives the information

they have collected, and processes it into graphics which can be accessed via a web
interface.  This part is quite heavy, because it has to process a lot of data into graphics.

So, I would say that as long as your "munin server" is running on a separate host,
monitoring your tomact via munin plugins should not have a heavy impact on performance.