tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Adding the manager app to a Standalone tomcat install
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 17:44:43 GMT
Todd Seidenberg wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor manager.xml
>>
>> Good.
>>
>>> As you can see, the manager descriptor is deployed - and sure
>>> enough the standard manager.xml file is created in
>>> /usr/local/confluence-4/conf/Standalone/localhost.
>> Good.
>>
>>> However, I still don't get the manager app.
>> Bad. You mean you get a 404 Not Found?
>>

> Thats correct. I get the:
>
> HTTP Status 404 - /manager/html message.

and is this an Apache or a Tomcat error page ? (easy to distinguish by the style)

> Very strange.
>

>> It doesn't look like you are using anything in front of Tomcat like
>> httpd, are you? Do you have more than one <Host> in your server.xml?
>>

> There is only one <Host> in my server.xml. We are currently running the AJP
> connector in the server.xml, and have httpd utilizing that connector to
> talk directly to the tomcat, but this is only for the convenience of
> redirecting a meaningful http address into the actual tomcat URL. We do not
> rely on it.

And this is what I suspect : the instructions used at the Apache level to "proxy" some
URLs to Tomcat, do not cover the URL "/manager/html".  Therefore, Apache/mod_jk is not
forwarding this to Tomcat, and instead it is Apache httpd itself which tries to find the
resource corresponding to /manager/html; but it does not find it, so it returns a 404.

> Weird, huh?

If my above suspicion is justified, then I would say that it's not weird at all.  It is
entirely predictable and actually very frequent as an error.