tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: Tomcat pausing and no java process
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 15:37:47 GMT

> Unlikely. If you are using SSL or serving large static files,
> APR/tcnative should be something that you look into using.
I do use SSL, but all is dynamic jsps

> Honestly, I would put more effort into upgrading to a more recent
> version of Tomcat than looking into using APR/tcnative.

>>> Do you actually have 2Gb of free RAM to assign to the Tomcat
>>> process?
Well, as someone asked:

]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      4194304 kB
MemFree:      3700308 kB

> Tomcat 5.5 doesn't really care what heap size it's got as
> long as it's more than 4MiB or so. The page you referenced in here
> doesn't even mention Tomcat 5.5.
>
> Usually the GC does do its job properly, and that includes pausing the
> whole JVM in order to reclaim memory if necessary. The above thread
> from ServerFault is about unresponsiveness, not about OOME: the GC
> caused unresponsiveness to avoid OOME (and it worked).
>
> Stop making crazy claims and actually look at your own environment to
> figure out what's going on.
We had several crashes today:

First - 1 outofmemory error
Second- 3 Tomcat pausing
Third - 2 or 3 times where catalina.out didn't show any error and tomcat
died, only a big increase of memory use right before the java process
died. That's why I assumed that maybe I have set the heap memory too
high (I set it up because of the out of memory errors). That's why I
googled to see if anyone had seen issues and that's why I reached that URL

I have set up this:

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Xms128m
-Xmx768m -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails

I hope this way I can trace if there is any memory leak in the webapp.
Considering that the developer decided to restart Tomcat once a week
because the webapp didn't have enough resources, I find this very likely.

Thanks for your inputs,

Miguel