tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>
Subject Re: How to run Tomcat as Service on windows start up.
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 23:35:54 GMT
I just want to have one instance of tomcat up and running always
whenever I start my system exactly the way I have httpd service running
always.

ok now moving forward, I installed the tomcat 7.0.27 as service,made
changes to shutdown ports/APR ports etc and now its runing fine as a
service.I have now 2 tomcats sitting in same apache directory one is
7.0.11(this runs with netbeans) and another is 7.0.27(this runs as
windows service).

Now I want to deploy the my app war file to 7.0.27.But for some reasons
Manager App is not accepting my credentials.Here is what I did,
I copied the tomcat users file of 7.0.11 to 7.0.27 and after copying
restarted the service again,and tried to give the same credentials which
are working fine in 7.0.11,but to my surprise,those are not working in
7.0.27
here is tomcat users file,(Sorry for pasting some commented section in
below file,but its imp for me not to delete anything for which I dont
have much information or knowledge).Pls note that his tomcat users file
works perfect fine in 7.0.11 for user kiran/kiran

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='cp1252'?>
<!--
   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
-->
<tomcat-users>
<user name="admin" password="kiran" roles="admin-gui,manager-gui" />
<!--
   NOTE:  By default, no user is included in the "manager-gui" role required
   to operate the "/manager/html" web application.  If you wish to use
this app,
   you must define such a user - the username and password are arbitrary.
-->
<!--
   NOTE:  The sample user and role entries below are wrapped in a comment
   and thus are ignored when reading this file. Do not forget to remove
<!.. ..> that surrounds them.
-->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
[...]

<role rolename="AdminRole"/>
<role rolename="UserRole"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1" username="both"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="UserRole" username="role1"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="AdminRole,manager-script,admin"
username="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="kiran" password="kiran" roles="manager-gui"/>
<role rolename="probeuser" />
<role rolename="poweruser" />
<role rolename="poweruserplus" />
<role rolename="manager" />
<user username="admin" password="t0psecret" roles="manager" />
</tomcat-users>

Any ideas why its not working in 7.0.27 ?

My system is win 7 32 bit home premium with JDK 1.6.32
>> ________________________________

are. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, UAC might become a problem. I'm not a Windows person,
so I'd have to investigate this.

>> Similarly, it should be possible to create .bat files which run the Tomcat
>> wrapper tomcatX.exe with the appropriate arguments to start, stop, or run
>> Tomcat in debug mode.
>  From my recollection of the service, don't you have to configure the service for debug
using the service configuration program? I'm not sure how you would handle that through NetBeans,
since I believe it simply does what start.bat / catalina.bat require (pass the debug argument
to catalina.bat).

> So, you might need a single startup.bat and shutdown.bat that would determine which service
to run, and which service was running . . . .

>> No ?
>>
>> (Although, if I understood the OP's request correctly, the point here would
>> be to start Tomcat as a service as soon as Windows starts.  So presumably,
>> the necessity of having a "startup.bat" is not evident anymore).
> It's a little unclear as to what the OP request is. It sounds like the OP has two requirements:
>
> 1. Deal with Tomcat in a development environment using NetBeans
>
> To me this means starting, stopping, debugging, launching with the security manager,
etc. That's hard to do when you don't own / completely control the service.

> The same problem exists in Linux. People want a system-wide Tomcat but want to use NetBean's
deploy and debug facilities. There are all sorts of interesting permissions problems with
this.

> NetBeans operates by deploying a context.xml file as [app-name].xml in the appropriate
Engine/host directory. The application is actually run out of [project-name]/build. This works
fine, and you can do a lot of dynamic updates in this fashion.

> What happens when the user of the IDE doesn't have access to post a context. xml to the
appropriate directory? What happens when Tomcat doesn't have access to read a user's [project-name]/build
directory?

> So for this use case, it's far easier and cleaner to maintain your own copy of Tomcat
that can be registered, managed, and controlled by NetBeans.

> 2. Demonstrate works in progress to other developers
>
> Putting aside for the moment that turning development box into a demonstration server
may not be a good thing, it's sometimes handy. For this I was recommending a system-wide Tomcat
(run as a service). You then just use the manager application to update it with the latest
demonstration-ready software.

> I think this has a few advantages. You don't show off intermediate (and potentially embarrassing)
code. The service is up regardless of whether you're developing or not (OP's original request).