tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Wall <d.w...@computer.org>
Subject Tomcat 7 NIO Socket accept failed - Too many open files
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 19:19:14 GMT
I am running Tomcat 7.0.26 on Linux we received a lot of the following
exceptions during load testing:

May 2, 2012 3:04:03 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$Acceptor run
SEVERE: Socket accept failed
java.io.IOException: Too many open files
         at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept0(Native Method)
         at
sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:152)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$Acceptor.run(NioEndpoint.java:784)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Is there something I can tune to remove this as a problem?  My NIO+SSL
connector is configured like this:

<Connector port="8443"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" SSLEnabled="true"
acceptCount="200" connectionTimeout="4000" acceptorThreadCount="2"
                 keystoreFile="keys/tomcatkeys" keystorePass="VALUEREMOVED"
                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

During the test, we had created about 1,800 concurrent sessions, though
I think many of those were active because of the exceptions kept the
user's transaction from completing and when their session would end
normally.

Thanks,
David