tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hedrick, Brooke - 43" <brooke.hedr...@rainhail.com>
Subject Question about resetting datasources and changes to the BasicDataSource.close() method
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 19:31:37 GMT
How are others dynamically resetting/resizing their database connection pools when necessary?

Background:
I am running into some issues with how we manage datasources due to changes in Tomcat/commons-dbcp.

We are just now beginning to move some of our applications to Tomcat 7.0.21 from Tomcat 6.0.20.
 We have written some tools that allow us to reset datasources that have worked great with
6.0.20 ( closes all unused connections and creates a new pool ).  We also have tools that
allow us to dynamically resize connection pools, on the fly.  Both of these depend on JMX.

When we used the JMX .close() method on the BasicDataSource under Tomcat 7, the next time
the application makes the request for a connection it receives  a... throw new SQLException("Data
source is closed");

It looks like some changes were made to commons-dbcp which set a private member variable called
"closed" when you close a BasicDataSource.   Any time the createDataSource() code is called
it check this new member variable and if closed=true, it throws this error.

Next, I looked at the new datasource org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSource.  I have not found
any methods to close/reset the pools and the JMX attributes are readonly.  This prevents us
both from resetting and resizing our connection pools.

So far, my options point to making changes to the BasicDataSource to provide a way to set
closed=false or make the private method below public with a change to set closed=false.

    /**
     * Not used currently
     */
    private void restart() {  // change to public  -bth
        try {
            close();
            closed = false;  // new line added here -bth
        } catch (SQLException e) {
            log("Could not restart DataSource, cause: " + e.getMessage());
        }
    }

Thanks,

Brooke Hedrick