tomcat-users mailing list archives

From llow...@oreillyauto.com
Subject Tomcat6 thread pool questions
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:50:24 GMT

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could help me understand how the threadpools are
handled in tomcat6. I know that a lot of the functionality was moved to
executors.

I set one up and using psi-Probe I could see that it was indeed killing off
threads as I expected. However, the minSpareThreads did not seem to be used
at all.

Is my understanding of that attribute correct, in that "minSparethreads"
should be the minimum number of threads running at any point?

For example, if I have minSpareThreads set to 30, I should see 30 threads
when the server is idle, and between 30 and maxThreads when it is under a
load, right?

That is not what I am seeing, as most of the time there are only 2-3
threads with one busy thread while the server is idle or near idle.

If anyone could let me know either what I am missing or what it is I do not
understand correctly, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Lee Lowder

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by Communications Privacy
Act 18 USCS  2510, solely for the use of the intended recipient, and may contain legally
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately.
Thank you.