tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: web.xml and schema location
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:49:43 GMT
2012/4/18 Mark Claassen <mac01@donnell.com>:
> Back in Tomcat 5, we had the problem with tomcat trying to access java.sun.com.  Lots
of our servers are behind firewalls, so this
> caused an error in the log.  We realized one way to fix this was just to remove the
schemaLocation attribute from the web.xml files.

> Below is the top of the main web.xml in Tomcat 7.  I did a snoop, and it didn't seem
to try to access java.sun.com this time.  Has
> this been changed at some point?  Or did I just have some error in my snoop?

1. Do you have validation enabled?
E.g. with
org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true

2. Tomcat has all the necessary schemas bundled (servlet-api.jar). I
do not know why it was contacting external resource in your case.

> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_3_0.xsd"
>         version="3.0">