tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catalina.out file is growing very rapidly! How to prevent Hibernate's INFO and DEBUG statements from getting added to catalina.out file?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:14:44 GMT
2012/4/19 Dilip Shah <dilipvshah@hotmail.com>:
> My Java application (Spring, Hibernate, MySQL) is running in Tomcat 5.5

What version of 5.5.x ?

> After the last set of changes to my application, Tomcat's catalina.out file is growing
very rapidly. With each query it adds a few MBs of INFO and DEBUG statements to the file.

> The log file has very large number of INFO and DEBUG statements such as the following:
> 01:52:45.412 [main] INFO  o.hibernate.cfg.annotations.Version - Hibernate Annotations
3.5.6-Final
> 01:52:45.465 [main] INFO  org.hibernate.cfg.Environment - Hibernate 3.5.6-Final
> 01:52:45.468 [main] INFO  org.hibernate.cfg.Environment - hibernate.properties not found

Looks like misconfigured Log4J.logging framework.  You are missing
log4j.properties file somewhere (or you have several such files which
conflict with each other).

When Tomcat's JULI is used it formats its log statements differently.

> After the last set of changes to my application

And you know what those changes were?

Start over with a fresh configuration.

If nothing else helps you may try the following (~joke):

1. Create file bin/setenv.sh with the following content:
CATALINA_OUT=/dev/null

2. Make the file executable.
3. Restart Tomcat.

Best regards,