tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: adding a global URI prefix for Tomcat web apps
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:04:22 GMT
2012/4/17 ron.vandenbranden@home <>:
>    2. change ${CATALINA.HOME}/conf/server.xml as follows:
>    <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
> autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="false">
>      <Context path="/apps/my_app" docBase="/my_app/" reloadable="true"/>
>    </Host>

More comment on the above, as you have already read the docs.

Putting <Context> element into server.xml is considered a bad practice.

Instead of that you'd put it into separate XML file,
<Context docBase="/docbase/of/my_app/" />

That "reloadable="true"" is not really needed.

Your docbase can be anywhere (outside of webapps directory) and need
not have the '#' sign in it.

The working folder for your app will still be
${catalina.base}/Catalina/localhost/apps#myapp with a hash char in it,
but I think that will work with Cocoon.

BTW, I wonder how Cocoon behaves if your application is in a war file
and you run with <Host unpackWARs="false" />

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: