tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nick Porter <nick.por...@tradar.com>
Subject Problems uploading huge files >2GB to Tomcat app.
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:36:34 GMT

Hi all. New to Tomcat and not a developer but I have been trying to deploy a website using
Debian6, Tomcat 6.0.35 hosting the OpenCMS 8.0.1 app. The website and the OpenCMS app has
a facility to upload files however I only seem to be able to upload files that are less than
2GB. I did read that there used to be a 2GB bug in Tomcat a few versions ago but that this
had since been resolved.

The errors I am seeing are a mixture of  400 Bad Request and 413 Request Entity too Large.

I'm connecting directly to Tomcat and the app/site on the HTTP/1.1 connector, port 8080.

I could be wrong but I can't see anything untoward in the logs located at /var/log/tomcat6/

The chaps over at the OpenCMS mail list assure me that OpenCMS is capable of handling files
of this size so I'm guessing my Tomcat config is in some way causing the problem.

I've expanded the memory for the heap in the /etc/defaults/tomcat6 file with;

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx512m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"

...and added the maxPostSize="0" to the HTTP connector but I'm still see these errors.

Here's my connector settings from server.xml

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               maxPostSize="0"
               redirectPort="8443" />

The only other settings I found relating to the size of a POST were the packetSize attribute
but believe this is only relevant to the AJP connector.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next so have come here as a last resort. Can anybody give
me any pointers or advice on how I can further investigate and resolve this problem?

Thx.
--
np

--
Tradar Limited  is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 3431380.
Registered office: 20-21 Jockey's Fields, London. WC1R 4BW