tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dilip Shah" <dilipvs...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: catalina.out file is growing very rapidly! How to prevent Hibernate's INFO and DEBUG statements from getting added to catalina.out file?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:55:35 GMT
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for the reply!

To answer your questions...
* Tomcat version info:
Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.28
Server built:   Jul 24 2009 01:33:09
Server number:  5.5.28.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     2.6.18-53.el5
Architecture:   i386
JVM Version:    1.6.0_23-ea-b01

* Since I'm configuring the application's logging via log4j.properties, I
can safely assume that logging is done via Log4j and not JULI, right?
Your statement about log formatting also seems to suggest the same. Let me
know if I interpreted your statement incorrectly.

* The changes I made to the application:
- I implemented Spring view controller (for the first time) and in the
process added @Autowired, @JsonIgnore through the code
- in the process of getting jSON output to the client, I added the following
jar files to common/lib
aspectjtools-1.5.4.jar
bval-core-0.3-incubating.jar
hibernate-validator-4.1.0.Final.jar
jackson-core-asl-1.6.4.jar
jackson-mapper-asl-1.6.4.jar
joda-time-1.6.2.jar
joda-time-jsptags-1.0.2.jar
jstl-1.2.jar
validation-api-1.0.0.GA.jar

I suspect packages in one or more of these jar files is generating these
INFO and DEBUG log entries in catalina.out

* The application's log4j.properties file is in the application's
WEB-INF/classes folder

Your suggestion (CATALINA_OUT=/dev/null) is interesting but the collateral
damage may be too great!

Let me know if you can think of anything else after getting this additional
information.

Best wishes,

Dilip