tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Bash script for monitoring status of the Tomcat server
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:28:35 GMT
> From: Miguel González Castaños [mailto:miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es]
> Subject: Bash script for monitoring status of the Tomcat server

> I would like to run a bash script to monitor these values and warn
> me if the reach a certain level. Also a tool that generates some
> graphs would be great.

Not quite sure how you can put "bash" and "graphs" together, but nonetheless...

1) Use JConsole or VisualVM to graphically monitor what's going on inside Tomcat and the JVM
via JMX.  (Obviously not a bash script, but it's the easiest thing to do.)

2) Use wget or curl to access Tomcat's text-mode manager app and parse the results.

3) Use a command-line JMX tool like jmxsh (http://code.google.com/p/jmxsh/) to extract information
and parse out whatever you want.

4) Use one of the enhanced versions of Tomcat (e.g., tc Server) that includes automatic monitoring
and notification.

 - Chuck