tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Running Tomcat as a Standalone desktop Application
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:11:27 GMT
> From: DaveNoth [mailto:david.nothnagel@prudential.com]
> Subject: Re: Running Tomcat as a Standalone desktop Application

> If no one out there is doing this, I am going to infer it's not a
> very good idea and look into a rewrite of the code to work under
> windows as a desktop app.

Actually, there are a fair number of commercial apps that have Tomcat buried inside them,
so it's definitely not a bad idea.  You might want to look at using Tomcat in its embedded
form, and provide a small main class that discovers an available port, starts up Tomcat, and
launches a browser using the port.  Your only requirement on the environment would be having
a viable JRE installed.  (Or you could bundle a JRE with your app, as some do.)

 - Chuck