tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to run Tomcat as Service on windows start up.
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:18:42 GMT
Mark Eggers wrote:
> [...]
"service wrapper" for the JVM which runs Tomcat.
>> The OP would probably, in the end, save himself some time by installing a proper
Tomcat-as-a-Windows-service from the Tomcat website, and then arrange for Netbeans to talk
to that one.

> NetBeans will not talk to the service very well.
>
> NetBeans uses the .bat files (.sh on Linux / UNIX) to control Tomcat. From within NetBeans
you can start, stop, and restart Tomcat, or run it in debug mode.

> NetBeans will complain that it cannot find the startup.bat and shutdown.bat required
to do these tasks if you install the service.

Presumably then, you could replace startup.bat and shutdown.bat by similarly-named .bat
files which respectively do
net start "Apache Tomcat"
and
net stop "Apache Tomcat"
(to keep it simple)

Similarly, it should be possible to create .bat files which run the Tomcat wrapper
tomcatX.exe with the appropriate arguments to start, stop, or run Tomcat in debug mode.

No ?

(Although, if I understood the OP's request correctly, the point here would be to start
Tomcat as a service as soon as Windows starts.  So presumably, the necessity of having a
"startup.bat" is not evident anymore).