tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "ron.vandenbranden@home" <>
Subject Re: adding a global URI prefix for Tomcat web apps
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:49:45 GMT

On 17/04/2012 22:49, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> No. It is Cocoon that is broken.
> There is File ->  URL conversion somewhere that does not encode
> characters properly, and '#' should be %-encoded if it is in an URL.
> Last time it was discussed on this list was several years ago. Either
> it is a rare use case, or it is just already fixed.

Ouch, that's really bad. Apparently it isn't fixed yet :-(. Thanks for
the pointers, anyway.

I thought of a last option:
     -leave the Tomcat webapps as is (without an 'apps#' prefix in the
folder names)
     -configure Apache to proxy all requests

     ProxyPreserveHost    on
     ProxyPass/     http://localhost:8082/
      ProxyPassReverse  /     http://mydomain/

     -add proxy exceptions for all other paths:

     ProxyPass /noproxy	!

I haven't tested this, but I guess this won't solve the problem with the
'/apps/' prefix (which is necessary for our URL scheme design).

So, it seems (due to the Cocoon bug) the approach I described in my
original message is the only one that will work consistently:
     -define a prefix for proxied requests in Apache
     -define all Tomcat apps with that prefix literally in distinct
<Context> containers

Kind regards,

Ron Van den Branden
Wetenschappelijk attaché / Senior Researcher
Reviews Editor LLC. The Journal of Digital Scholarship in the Humanities

Centrum voor Teksteditie en Bronnenstudie - CTB (KANTL)
Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde
Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature
Koningstraat 18 / b-9000 Gent / Belgium
tel: +32 9 265 93 51 / fax: +32 9 265 93 49
E-mail :