tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Trouble starting TC with jmxremote port set
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:38:03 GMT
I'm trying to configure things so I can monitor my TC server with
jconsole, and whenever I try to set the jmxremote port, the windows
service refuses to start.

System info (from Version.bat):

Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\temp

Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
Using CLASSPATH:       C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\bin\bootstrap.jar

Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.28
Server built:   Jul 24 2009 01:33:09
Server number:  5.5.28.0
OS Name:        Windows Server 2008
OS Version:     6.0
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.6.0_17-b04
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

When I add "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"  to my tomcat5w java
properties window, it works fine, but adding

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=7999

causes the service to fail to start, as does using other ports.  I can
find nothing in any of the tomcat logs, nor in the windows event viewer
except one that says "The apache tomcat websiratest1a Service terminated
unexpectedly"

What should I be looking for here?  Is there something I'm missing in my
jmx setup?

Thanks!
Dave