tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: determining cause of MaxThreads exhausted
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:33:31 GMT

On 4/13/12 4:27 AM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
> The app sends massive emails to users with some info that requires
> users to log on the webapp and fill in some forms. It seems
> (without any logs or metrics) that people tend to fill the forms
> right away after they got the emails and together with the mailing
> process (that requires DB use to get email addresses) is exhausting
> the maxthreads connections (300 as of yesterday which I have
> increased to 400).

Are you running out of request processors (<Connector> maxThreads) or
are you running out of database connections (<Resource> maxActive)?

>> How many emails does it send?
> Around 1000 a minute

I'm not sure the email volume has anything to do with the resource
availability, other than an email may intise someone to go to your
site, which will (temporarily) use up a request processor thread and
(possibly) a database connection.

> Any way to use access log to get a view of how many visitors (not
> connections) we are getting?

Yes: log the timestamp of each access, then use one of the many fine
web server analysis tools to get a picture (literally) of your volume.

> Any howto or article that explains of how to use JMeter in an
> environment like this?

JMeter is used virtually the same way in all environments: only you
understand the nuances of your own software and can craft a load test
that is appropriate for your application.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -