tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat as a Standalone desktop Application
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:45:55 GMT
On 4/2/2012 10:30 AM, DaveNoth wrote:

> Thanks André!  This is very helpful.
>
> We have a new user base that requires our application to run as a
> stand-alone, disconnected App. Today our App is an Online Web Application
> running under Websphere. I was also looking to see if anyone is currently
> deploying a Web Application (Servlet/JSP) running on Tomcat as a
> *stand-alone,* *disconnect* application.   Our goal is to use our same Java
> Web application code base for Online connected users as well as disconnected
> stand-alone users.   If no one out there is doing this, I am going to infer
> it's not a very good idea and look into a rewrite of the code to work under
> windows as a desktop app.

I wouldn't say it's not a good idea, it just seems to be a lot of work,
since you need to configure a TC server on every user's machine.  Why
not just set it up on an in-house server that cannot be accessed from
the outside world, but can be accessed from the in-house LAN?

If you choose to make it a java desktop app, you'll probably find that a
lot of your code can be used unchanged, especially if the UI code is
fairly well separated from the back-end processes code.