tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: determining cause of MaxThreads exhausted
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:27:24 GMT
On 13/04/2012 10:14, Pid * wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2012, at 09:09, "Miguel González Castaños"
> <miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es>  wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>>   A server that I manage has a Struts webapp with a Tomcat 5.5.x standalone server.
No JMX or whatsoever has been configured.

>>   The app sends massive emails to users with some info that requires users to log
on the webapp and fill in some forms. It seems (without any logs or metrics) that people tend
to fill the forms right away after they got the emails and together with the mailing process
(that requires DB use to get email addresses) is exhausting the maxthreads connections (300
as of yesterday which I have increased to 400).
> How many emails does it send?
Around 1000 a minute

>>   I assume it's not going to be easy to determine what is the cause of the issue
but which tools can I use?
> It might just be simple maths. If you send more than 400 emails and
> most of those people immediately respond, what would you expect to
> happen?
>

>>   I guess I need to log in some way how the server is behaving. Maybe enabling JMX
or Javamelody? Any way of getting where the webapp is hanged or where in the code of the webapp
is hanging?
> Access log?
> Enable JMX, use VisualVM/JConsole.
Any way to use access log to get a view of how many visitors (not
connections) we are getting?

>>   And which tool can help me to simulate the load of so many people connecting to
the webapp remotely?
> JMeter.
Any howto or article that explains of how to use JMeter in an
environment like this?

Miguel

The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of
its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed
by the sender.