tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: jdbc pool properties
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:46:17 GMT

----- Original Message -----
> My db connections seem to be lost after an extended period of
> inactivity

There could be a number of reasons that this occurs.  Perhaps a network issue is causing them
to be disconnected or the database may be timing them out.  At any rate, it's not likely that
the problem would be caused by the "removeAbandoned" / "abandonedTimeout" settings, unless
you application is not properly returning connections to the connection pool.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#Preventing_database_connection_pool_leaks

> (for a web application).  And the only way to get the connections to
> work
> again is to restart tomcat.
>
> My tomcat.jdbc.pool.Datasource settings have:
>
>  <property name="maxActive" value="100"/>
>         <property name="maxIdle" value="30"/>
>         <property name="maxWait" value="1000"/>
>         <property name="defaultAutoCommit" value="true"/>
>         <property name="removeAbandoned" value="true"/>
>         <property name="removeAbandonedTimeout" value="60"/>

You probably want to add testOnBorrow="true" and "validationQuery=SELECT 1"  (or some other
valid query for your DB).  See the following link for an explanation of those properties.

  https://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html

This will cause your connections to be validated prior to their use by your application.
Stale connections will be removed and replaced with new, working connections.

> Is it the removedAbonded and abandonedTimeout?  Does it mean "after
> 60
> seconds, remove the connection from the pool?

No.  See either of the links I've referenced above for an explanation of these settings.

> I guess what I need is a minActive setting then?

There's no "minActive" setting.  You have "minIdle", but I don't think that would help here.

Dan