tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Maser <Christoph.Ma...@1und1.de>
Subject Re: parallel deployment activation of new version
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:34:13 GMT
Am Donnerstag, den 12.04.2012, 14:02 +0100 schrieb markt@apache.org:
> Christoph Maser <Christoph.Maser@1und1.de> wrote:
>
> >Do you see any chance a request for feature in that direction would be
> >accpeted?
>
> Right now, no. I don't see a requirement that isn't met by the existing implementation.
If there was a use case that wasn't completely off the wall that couldn't be met then it would
get looked at. Actual implementation would depend on an assessment of benefit against complexity.

> Mark

Well the idea is to have additional saftey measures that check if the
webapp is in the desired state after the context is started. This is
done by sending queries against the webapp for standard pages or
debug/health-status pages that the webapp provides.

A reason to do not let the context startup fail in a case where the
webapp is in a non desired state is that you loose access to those
debug/healt-status pages the webapp provides and you end up searching
for the causes in the logfiles.

Antoher point are loadbalancers. Often loadbalancers have the possibiity
to check if a "real Server" is "alive" by sending a request to a defined
URL. So as enother safty maesure one might check this URL too before
switching. This one should of  course never happen, thats what proper
testing is for, but in real life strangest things happen.

Chris