tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com>
Subject Discrepancy between Tomcat's connection pool and tomcat's report on memory leaks
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:05:07 GMT
Hi,

I am using Tomcat 7.0.25 in a Linux machine

I am using Tomcat's connection pool (org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource). As database
I am using H2 as a file database.
All is ok, but I have the following problem.
On shutdown of Tomcat I see in catalina.out:

SEVERE: The web application [/GeneralApplication] appears to have started a thread named [H2
Log Writer GENERICAPPLICATION] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a
memory leak.
Apr 4, 2012 2:32:54 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/GeneralApplication] appears to have started a thread named [H2
File Lock Watchdog /opt/en/repos/tomcat/webapps/GeneralApplication/db/internaldatabase.lock.db]
but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

Why do I get these messages?
As I understand these messages, H2 is still running on shutdown and the documentation they
have says that the database will shutdown once the last connection is closed (and the connections
are handled by the pool i.e. Tomcat)

Additionally the input from H2 dev is that these messages are a Tomcat problem. Tomcat should
have first disposed of the connection pool and then log the running threads.Their explanation
seem correct to me.

Is this a known issue? Why do I see these errors in catalina? Should I somehow dispose off
the connection pool myself?

Thank you for your time
Best Regards,
FH