tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject determining cause of MaxThreads exhausted
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:08:23 GMT
Dear all,

   A server that I manage has a Struts webapp with a Tomcat 5.5.x
standalone server. No JMX or whatsoever has been configured.

   The app sends massive emails to users with some info that requires
users to log on the webapp and fill in some forms. It seems (without any
logs or metrics) that people tend to fill the forms right away after
they got the emails and together with the mailing process (that requires
DB use to get email addresses) is exhausting the maxthreads connections
(300 as of yesterday which I have increased to 400).

   I assume it's not going to be easy to determine what is the cause of
the issue but which tools can I use?

   I guess I need to log in some way how the server is behaving. Maybe
enabling JMX or Javamelody? Any way of getting where the webapp is
hanged or where in the code of the webapp is hanging?

   And which tool can help me to simulate the load of so many people
connecting to the webapp remotely?

   Regards,

   Miguel

The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of
its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed
by the sender.