tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pid *" <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: determining cause of MaxThreads exhausted
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:14:40 GMT
On 13 Apr 2012, at 09:09, "Miguel González Castaños"
<miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  A server that I manage has a Struts webapp with a Tomcat 5.5.x standalone server. No
JMX or whatsoever has been configured.

>  The app sends massive emails to users with some info that requires users to log on the
webapp and fill in some forms. It seems (without any logs or metrics) that people tend to
fill the forms right away after they got the emails and together with the mailing process
(that requires DB use to get email addresses) is exhausting the maxthreads connections (300
as of yesterday which I have increased to 400).

How many emails does it send?

>  I assume it's not going to be easy to determine what is the cause of the issue but which
tools can I use?

It might just be simple maths. If you send more than 400 emails and
most of those people immediately respond, what would you expect to
happen?

>  I guess I need to log in some way how the server is behaving. Maybe enabling JMX or
Javamelody? Any way of getting where the webapp is hanged or where in the code of the webapp
is hanging?

Access log?
Enable JMX, use VisualVM/JConsole.

>  And which tool can help me to simulate the load of so many people connecting to the
webapp remotely?

JMeter.

>  Regards,
>
>  Miguel
>
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees
only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part)
of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the
sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be
guaranteed by the sender.