tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: AccessControlException when starting embedded Tomcat from Java Webstart
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:02:17 GMT
> From: Witoslaw Koczewski [mailto:wi@koczewski.de]
> Subject: Re: AccessControlException when starting embedded Tomcat from Java Webstart

> Usualy when I turn on a feature in software A, I don't expect
> it to affect software B.

You're not turning on a feature in an independent module; WebStart is changing the mode the
JVM runs in.

> Does Tomcat use the same Security Manager as WebStart or does
> it just share the same switch?

The SecurityManager is an attribute of the JVM, not of any particular set of classes loaded
in that JVM.  If the SecurityManager is enabled, all classes running inside that JVM have
to live with it.

> Is there perhaps a central place in the Tomcat source code where the
> switch is evaluated, so I can rename it or hard-code it to "false"?

You're missing the point; Tomcat isn't the one enforcing this, the JVM is.  Since you have
chosen to operate in an environment that includes a SecurityManager, you must find the controlling
policy file for that SecurityManager and make sure it includes all the permissions Tomcat
needs (the ones in catalina.policy).

 - Chuck