tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Security Constraints?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:25:29 GMT
Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
> [...]
us upload that amount of data, so I thought why not zip it and place it on Tomcat for them
to download.  This data was sensitive in nature and they wanted a secure login to whatever
URL I provided for them to download that data.

> Example:  http://planning.maricopa.gov/customerx  when they access this URL, they are
presented with a form based login over HTTPS, and once authenticated, Tomcat serves up a directory
with their zip file.  Essentially, I would already have a preconfigured SQL database with
users/roles and just whip up a webapp and send the customer a url/username/password with which
to login.  I was thinking I would just have webapp template that I modify when I get a request
like that, deploy and then undeploy it after they get their data.  Is there a better way?

Well, if they can all use the same login page, then after they login you know who they
are.  And if you anyway have a database back-end, then whatever webapp they are logged-in

to, can do a database lookup and retrieve /their/ download link from the database, and
display it on the response page.  Then you need only one webapp, and all you need to do is

add or modify or delete a record in the database.

Just don't make the download link too obvious, not to encourage one of them to change it a

little bit just to try..
For example, I would not make it like :
https://planning.maricopa.gov/customer001/secret_download_file.gis
;-)