tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Web service not starting up as expected
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:13:26 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> I wonder if this is a timing issue. I've never used Tomcat on Windows,
> but I used to use an old Java-based TiVo media server that came with a
> Windows Service. I seem to remember that clicking the "restart" widget
> in the service snap-in would seem to take *forever* and then it would
> finally say "sorry, this service isn't responding". For whatever
> reason, the service interface wasn't getting the feedback it needed to
> declare the service stopped.

or, the service is just taking longer to respond, than what the service manager expects
(there is some kind of built-in delay there, within which the service must respond
something to the "start service" message). As I remember, this can be changed.  Must be in

the Registry somewhere.

When the service takes too long to respond, the service manager pops up an error like you

indicate above, but the service itself is not interrupted, and continues to start and
eventually run.  Of course, if you think it hasn't started, and do a "start service"
again, then things may get somewhat out-of-sync and confusing.