tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: What is the best way to view Tomcat JDBC pool properties in Tomcat 6?
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:17:08 GMT

On 3/8/12 10:19 AM, hodgesz wrote:
> Well the exact same Spring code doesn't throw an exception with
> 6.0.29 version of Tomcat.

See Rainer's note in the bug you filed: those properties didn't exist
in 6.0.x.

> I have already entered a bug
> for
> similar exceptions thrown with version 7 that didn't exist in 6.
> I didn't use XA previously and I don't need it now so that doesn't
> seem like the solution here.

It looks like the MBean (or maybe the pool itself) is exposing
something that shouldn't be treated as a property: the connection
itself. Calling getConnection (or, in this case, getXAConnection) will
actually obtain a connection from the pool and will probably cause a
minor connection leak (assuming "abandoned" settings are in place,
you'll recover). These methods shouldn't be called by the MBeanDumper,
and thus probably should be exposed as an attribute through an MBean.

You could log that as a bug, too (over-exposure of 'get' methods).

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -