tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Known ECJ issue?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:50:41 GMT
In some cases we are seeing:

2012-03-01 18:43:55,624 ERROR [ajp-bio-9920-exec-2] org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/PDMPJL100].[jsp]
 - Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/PDMPJL100] threw exception [wt.util.WTRuntimeException:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP; nested exception is:
             org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP] with root
cause
             at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.codegen.CodeStream.isDefinitelyAssigned(CodeStream.java:4548)

whereas in others for the same JSPs, tags, etc (as best we can tell)
we're not.

This is with Tomcat 7.0.23 and thus ecj 3.7.  Are there known issues in
this regard with ecj 3.7?  Are they addressed by 3.7.1?  Is there a
reasonable way to obtain and try a newer ecj.jar?  [I couldn't find one.]

I've seen some other odd behavior with the latest Tomcat 6 (also using
3.7) -- where it will compile a given JSP page fine most of the time,
but in others (for exactly the same JSP and tags with no changes) will
produce the dreaded method too big (>65K) error.  This is maddening when
nothing has changed -- the compiler should produce the same results in
any case.  This particular issue is hard enough to reproduce that I've
not had a chance to try it with 3.7.1.

--
Jess Holle