tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Registe, Jr." <martin.regi...@appia.com>
Subject RE: Setup of workers.properties with multiple host and TC instances
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:08:20 GMT
Chris,

Let me see if I've got this straight. You've got:
* A hw load-balancer out front
* 5 physical servers each running:
 - 1 Apache httpd
 - 2 Tomcats

This allows you to have physical-server redundancy (x5) and also the ability to take one TC
instance down on each server for maintenance while leaving the other one running. Right?

Answer
Yes this is correct

First question: do all httpd instances know about all Tomcat instances? Or, does httpd only
know about the two instances that are co-located with it on
the same physical server?

Answer
Httpd only know about the two instances that re collocated with it on the same physical server

If https only knows about its local 2 Tomcat instances, then you'll only need 2 workers, etc.
I have no idea how this could possibly work with sticky sessions unless the hw lb knows how
to dispatch to the right http/2xTomcat physical server, in which case you are wasting your
time with all these extra processes.

Answer
The hw loadbalancer sends the traffic to 10.17.75.61 port 80...
apache takes it and using the workers.properties file sends it to one of TC instances
then apache sends it back through the hw lb it has a sessionid and jvm tag on in the host
header so it knows which jvm it came from

What about <Engine>? It would be nice to confirm that your jvmRoute(s)
is(are) set correctly.

Answer
TC1    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
TC2    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm2">

That depends. The host should always be "localhost", since your httpd instances only talk
to the co-located Tomcats, right?

Answer
Yes

My next thoughts
I don't know exactly how this is working but it definitely is working and doesn't seem to
be getting sessions jumping from one jvm to the other (on the same physical server).  I will
play around with the configuration some more but this has been working for over a year.  You
are saying if I just go with

worker.jvm1.type=ajp13
worker.jvm1.host=localhost
worker.jvm1.port=8019
worker.jvm1.lbfactor=10

worker.jvm2.type=ajp13
worker.jvm2.host=localhost
worker.jvm2.port=8029
worker.jvm2.lbfactor=10

worker.part.type=lb
worker.part.balance_workers=jvm1,jvm2
worker.part.sticky_session=1

everything will continue to work, correct?

Thanks,
Martin