tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Registe, Jr." <martin.regi...@appia.com>
Subject RE: Setup of workers.properties with multiple host and TC instances
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:18:19 GMT
How many *tomcat instances* do you have running ?
And can you explain, in general terms, what you are trying to do ?

@Andre

I am trying to run two reduant tomcat instances that are each running two reduant hosts on
the same phyiscal server.  I have detailed it below.

On one physical server I am running two tomcat instances
TC1 - 8019 .145\.61
TC2 - 8029 145.\.61

On the same physical server I have apache which I have two virtual sites running on
Site1 - 10.17.75.145
Site2 - 10.17.75.61
Inside of each virtal host entry in apache I currently have them both mounting jkmount /*
part
Then in workers.properties
I have the setup
worker.list=part
#worker.list=worker1, worker2

#
# Defining a worker named ajp13w and of type ajp13
# Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
#
worker.jvm1.type=ajp13
worker.jvm1.host=10.17.75.145
worker.jvm1.port=8019
worker.jvm1.lbfactor=10

worker.jvm2.type=ajp13
worker.jvm2.host=10.17.75.145
worker.jvm2.port=8029
worker.jvm2.lbfactor=10

worker.jvm1.type=ajp13
worker.jvm1.host=10.17.75.61
worker.jvm1.port=8019
worker.jvm1.lbfactor=10

worker.jvm2.type=ajp13
worker.jvm2.host=10.17.75.61
worker.jvm2.port=8029
worker.jvm2.lbfactor=10

worker.part.type=lb
worker.part.balance_workers=jvm1,jvm2
worker.part.sticky_session=1

Then in the server.xml file
OnTC1 for jvmRoute=jvm1
OnTC2 for jvmRoute=jvm2
And I have host entries for both in each server.xml
      <Host name="10.17.75.145" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">
       There are prameter and other stuff
      </Host>

      <Host name="10.17.75.61" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">
        There are parameters and other stuff
      </Host>

We have two redunant tomcat instances running on the same box.  So as long as there is not
a problem on the physical server one of the tomcat instances will always be taking traffic.
 There is a hw loadbalancer that sits in front of all of this and there are 5 other servers
setup the same way the hw loadbalancer just directs traffic to the particular physical server
where apache takes over.  Each apache only works with its local (2)  tomcat instances.

In the workers.properties if I change .61 to
worker.jvm3.type=ajp13
worker.jvm3.host=10.17.75.61
worker.jvm3.port=8019
worker.jvm3.lbfactor=10

worker.jvm4.type=ajp13
worker.jvm4.host=10.17.75.61
worker.jvm4.port=8019
worker.jvm4.lbfactor=10

and add them to the lb setting
worker.part.type=lb
worker.part.balance_workers=jvm1,jvm2,jvm3,jvm4
worker.part.sticky_session=1

will traffic get to right host?  Even though there is no jvmRoute for jvm3 and jvm4.  Does
the worker.xxxx.host=10.17.75.61 play a part in this at all?

@TM
I looked at the modjk.log and I do see the duplicate errors so I defiantly need to fix that.
 I should have explained that I am running two reduant tomcat instances on the same phyical
box and they are listening to 8019 and 8029 already.  I am trying to find a way, or prove
that apache won't take a .61 request and send it to one of the .145 hosts or visa versa.
Eveything looks to be working okay with the current config....)other than the duplicate errors
in the modjk.log file) but I need more info

Thanks,
Martin