tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Truckman" <truck...@woodbridgedata.com>
Subject Proxypass Question
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 04:18:52 GMT
Greetings,

I'm not sure whether this is a tomcat6 issue or an apache issue, but I thought maybe I would
start here if no one minds.

We have a domain name and we have apache answering the door on both https(443) and http(80).
 What we'd like to do is proxypass port 443 to tomcat6, and have port 80 serve html files
normally on that domain name (i.e. different content)

So, we defined such in /etc/httpd/conf.d/virtuals.conf like so:

NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerName www.example.com:443
        SSLEngine on
        SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
        SSLCertificateFile /mnt/html/example/example.com.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /mnt/html/example/www.example.com.key
        ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.example.com:80
#        ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
        DocumentRoot    /mnt/html/example
</VirtualHost>

With the above, nothing works and in the /var/log/error_log file we see an entry for "file
does not exist /mnt/html/example/", and we get that entry regardless whether we hit ports
443 or port 80 - which tells us nothing is proxying when set this way.

If we change the latter part of the configuration file to this:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.example.com:80
        ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
#        DocumentRoot    /mnt/html/example
</VirtualHost>

Then https: does in fact proxy up to tomcat6, the application loads, and all is well.  However,
it does the very same thing for port 80 as the proxypass statement is there also.

Proxypass seems to only work if both ports are proxied, and not work if either port is not
proxied.

My question is this - is that the normal/expected behavior of proxypass, or should we keep
digging elsewhere?

Thank you very much!