tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Dependencies on extensions functionality
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 15:56:24 GMT
2012/2/5 Violeta Georgieva <>:
> Hi,
> As I wrote I'm placing the extension jar in "C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.25\ext".
> I tried the following: I specified "C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.25\lib" as value
> for "catalina.ext.dirs" property and now the web application is working.
> But then I have two questions:
> - Do we need "catalina.ext.dirs" at all if we can use only Tomcat's
> classpath dirs? Let's look through them instead of introducing additional
> property.

Good question. Please file a bug in Bugzilla.  You can include a link
to this thread.

Searching the sources for "catalina.ext.dirs" it is mentioned in source only. It is never mentioned in User
Guide or Configuration Reference.

It should be added to docs/config/systemprops.html and maybe mentioned
in docs/class-loader-howto.html

Searching just for "ext.dirs" you see one more place,, that uses just "java.ext.dirs" and not catalina one.
So maybe you had to redefine the "java.ext.dirs" property, like does with "java.endorsed.dirs".

I wonder how did you found this "catalina.ext.dirs" property. From Javadoc?

> - Does this mean that we can use only Tomcat's classpath dirs and we cannot
> specify a custom directory for these extensions?

You can. You can reconfigure classpath in the conf/ file.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: