tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Form Authentication POST data not preserved?
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 15:26:23 GMT
2012/2/5 Jess Holle <>:
> On 2/5/2012 8:29 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2. Enable debug logging for FormAuthenticator class.
> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.level=FINE
> I had already increased verbosity for FormAuthenticator -- nothing seemed
> amiss from what I could tell there.  It said it was restoring the original
> request from the session.  I never see anything about a POST body being
> restored, but I'm not sure if there is any logging to this effect.
> Thanks.  I've got that part down.  The harder part is rebuilding pieces of
> Tomcat with full debug information (I'm assuming Tomcat is normally not
> built with local variable debug information) and finding my way through
> unfamiliar code.  But that's life :-)

    <javac srcdir="java" destdir="${tomcat.classes}"
           includeAntRuntime="true" >

Thus debug information should already be there.

I usually start with setting some breakpoints. In your case take a
look at FormAuthenticator#saveRequest() and #restoreRequest() methods
and where they are called from.

Building Tomcat is documented in BUILDING.txt and in webapps/docs/building.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: