tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Renne <j...@gniffelnieuws.net>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat on Port 80 with Fedora 16 without IP tables redirect
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:38:24 GMT

On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Ole Ersoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the past I have been able to run tomcat on port 80 under a "tomcat" user.  It seems
like the latest versions of Fedora require that tomcat either be run as root or requests to
8080 have to be redirected using iptables.   Can anyone confirm this?

On each unix you will need root privileges to bind to a socket below 1024. Tomcat is no different
so it will need either root privileges, or a port over 1024 (default indeed 8080)

John