tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How can I access tomcat's logs using my jsp?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 21:44:08 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: How can I access tomcat's logs using my jsp?

> - you can create a webapp named "tomcat-logs" (or whatever), just by
> creating a new directory "tomcat-logs" (or whatever) under webapps.

Nope.

> - to protect access to it, you'll need a WEB-INF/web.xml, with some
> security/auth constraints, just like any other protected application.

That is needed.  However, this WEB-INF directory and consequently the WEB-INF/web.xml file
must be placed in Tomcat's log directory.

> - you will need a META-INF/context.xml, specifying as docBase, the
> directory where the logs really are.

Nope, that won't work; docBase is not allowed when the webapp is inside the <Host> appBase
directory.  The <Context> element must be placed in conf/Catalina/[hostName]/[appName].xml,
with the docBase pointing to the location of the logs directory.

> - and you will need to specify somewhere, that for this directory,
> Tomcat is allowed to generate a page with an index to the files.

That's done by enabling the listings parameter for the DefaultServlet.  The OP will need to
copy the <servlet> tag and its sub-tags for the DefaultServlet from conf/web.xml to
the log webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml and set the listings parameter to true.  You do not want
to enable the listings parameter in the global conf/web.xml for what should be obvious reasons.

 - Chuck