tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject generic deployment question
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:12:01 GMT
Assume latest Tomcat 6.x for current deployment, and 7.x for future deployments.

I host an app for a couple of dozen customers.  Naturally, upgrade time can be a bit of a
pain, and I'd like to simplify things.
Assuming that all the customer-specific information (DB connection info, logger info, etc.)
can be described as resources in the context.xml file, would it be possible to put the actual
webapp in a single pre-exploded directory without causing Tomcat fits?

Example directory tree:

Web-app-1.1
    Images
   META-INF
   JSPs
  WEB-INF  (with generic web.xml for web-app-1.1)
     lib
     classes

ROOT.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path=""
         docBase="path/to/Web-app-1.1">
  <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator"
        securePagesWithPragma="false" />
  <....resources definitions.... />
</Context>

Then when a new release comes out, I can deploy the web-app once and modify the individual
customer's contexts to point to the new release path as they choose upgrade (or all at once).

And, yes, I know that disk is cheap and I could just do it by replacing 3-4 dozen war files
nearly as easily.  And right now, I'm not sure if the future 7.x versioning feature will come
in handy as our dev staff haven't started investigating 7.x yet.
Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or
telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.