tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject RE: Tomcat with mod_jk becomes irresponsive after working for awhile
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:15:59 GMT
Am 23.02.2012 19:50, schrieb Ofer Israeli:
> Felix Schumacher wrote:

>>> Hi Chuck,
>>>
>>> I've taken a thread dump and haven't found anything that looks
>>> suspicious.  What baffles me is that TaskManager shows that I have
>>> 580 threads in the Tomcat process (which makes sense since I use
>>> 500
>>> worker threads for requests), but the thread dump only shows a
>>> small
>>> portion of these.  Below is the dump, I'll be happy if you can give
>>> me some insight on this.
>>>
>>> 2012-02-23 20:08:16
>>> Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode):
>>>
>>> "Low Memory Detector" daemon prio=6 tid=0x16bc7400 nid=0x2b38
>>>    runnable [0x00000000] java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>>>
>>> "main" prio=6 tid=0x002a7c00 nid=0x2ecc runnable [0x0093f000]
>>>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>>> 	at sun.tools.attach.WindowsVirtualMachine.connectPipe(Native
>>> Method) 	at
>>>

>>> sun.tools.attach.WindowsVirtualMachine.execute(WindowsVirtualMachine.java:82)
>>> at
>>>

>>> sun.tools.attach.HotSpotVirtualMachine.executeCommand(HotSpotVirtualMachine.java:195)
>>> at
>>>

>>> sun.tools.attach.HotSpotVirtualMachine.remoteDataDump(HotSpotVirtualMachine.java:156)
>>> 	at sun.tools.jstack.JStack.runThreadDump(JStack.java:159)
>>> 	at sun.tools.jstack.JStack.main(JStack.java:94)
>> This is not a thread dump of tomcat, but rather jstack. Look at
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
>> for more info, to get a thread dump of tomcat.
>>
>> Regards
>>   Felix
>
> Hi Felix,
>
> I have seen that page but actually can't use the //MS// option as
> Tomcat is already running and in this bad state that I want to catch
> without restarting the service.  Is there some way to gather this
> information without a restart?
> From what I understood jstack is supposed to give me all the JVM
> threads - am I missing something, can you elaborate on what it is I
> see there and why there are portions missing?
Hi Ofer,

I haven't used tomcat under windows, so I might be a bad adviser. Maybe
you could use a tool like visualvm or jconsole from the jdk to attach to
the running tomcat jvm and have a look at the threads.

We will probably have to wait for windows users to help you.

Regards
  Felix