tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Hooper <ahoo...@bmjgroup.com>
Subject logging failure with tomcat 6.0.29, jvm 1.6.0_30-b12, ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:09:47 GMT
Hi,

With the software noted above, I get the following when starting tomcat
and no logs other than catalina.are produced.

Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$3.run(LogManager.java:358)
        at
java.util.logging.LogManager.loadLoggerHandlers(LogManager.java:345)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.addLogger(LogManager.java:566)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$1.run(LogManager.java:181)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:157)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:287)
        at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:57)
        at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:42)
        at
sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.<clinit>(ConnectorBootstrap.java:760)
        at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:127)
        at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:239)

There is a lot on the web about this, but it all centres around adding
the correct permissions to the system java.policy file (or to catalina's
own, and invoking with -security).

However, that does not work for me. If I run with
CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.security.debug=all, I can see that it is reading
the same policy file which I'm editing, and the debug output doesn't
include the word "FAILED" nor anything specific about  tomcat-juli.jar,
and yet it still doesn't work.

I'm about to start tearing my hair out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Alex.

--
Alex Hooper
Operations Team Leader, BMJ Group, BMA House, London WC1H 9JR

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors,
researchers, health care workers and patients group.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments
are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify
us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for
these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because
the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received
by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing
Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and
Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square,
London WC1H 9JR, UK.