tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: generic deployment question
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:49:08 GMT
On 16/02/2012 21:12, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> Assume latest Tomcat 6.x for current deployment, and 7.x for future deployments.
>
> I host an app for a couple of dozen customers.  Naturally, upgrade time can be a bit
of a pain, and I'd like to simplify things.
> Assuming that all the customer-specific information (DB connection info, logger info,
etc.) can be described as resources in the context.xml file, would it be possible to put the
actual webapp in a single pre-exploded directory without causing Tomcat fits?

> Example directory tree:
>
> Web-app-1.1
>     Images
>    META-INF
>    JSPs
>   WEB-INF  (with generic web.xml for web-app-1.1)
>      lib
>      classes
>
> ROOT.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Context path=""
>          docBase="path/to/Web-app-1.1">

The 'path' attribute is not valid here.

>   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator"
>         securePagesWithPragma="false" />
>   <....resources definitions.... />
> </Context>
>

> Then when a new release comes out, I can deploy the web-app once and modify the individual
customer's contexts to point to the new release path as they choose upgrade (or all at once).

> And, yes, I know that disk is cheap and I could just do it by replacing 3-4 dozen war
files nearly as easily.  And right now, I'm not sure if the future 7.x versioning feature
will come in handy as our dev staff haven't started investigating 7.x yet.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested to see if it works, but I would try to
point the docBase to the .war file and allow each customer to have their
own exploded copy of the .war.  I would not share an exploded directory.

Having said that, in practice I'd probably just deploy 'n' versions of
the .war anyway.  As you say, disk is cheap & this way there's no
accidents if the application gets damaged.

Note, with Tomcat 7.0 the version feature allows you to specify *any*
string as the version string.

 ROOT##v1.0.1-customer-AAAA.war

> Jeff
>
> Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

> If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender
or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

--

[key:62590808]