tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: generic deployment question
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:32:12 GMT
Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> Assume latest Tomcat 6.x for current deployment, and 7.x for future deployments.
>
> I host an app for a couple of dozen customers.  Naturally, upgrade time can be a bit
of a pain,

why ?

  and I'd like to simplify things.
> Assuming that all the customer-specific information (DB connection info, logger info,
etc.) can be described as resources in the context.xml file, would it be possible to put the
actual webapp in a single pre-exploded directory without causing Tomcat fits?

It seems to me that there is a logical problem : if you have only 1 webapp, then you also

only have one context.xml.  So how are you going to specify per-customer specific
configurations ?
And even if you do, how will you distinguish a request from one customer from a request
from another customer, and use this information to select the appropriate resource
definition ?

Personally, I tend to think that you are going to trade an small inconvenient (having to
update 24 war files), against a vast complication of your application and setup.
And lose a lot of flexibility too, like if ever one customer wanted this thing just a
little differently..

I am told that there are tools to automate such a multiple deployment, so that you would
only have to give a command once, and it would deploy the same application to 24 locations.

That was just my 0.02€.