tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat on Port 80 with Fedora 16 without IP tables redirect
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 18:06:12 GMT
Thanks Andre and John.  I used jsvc to run tomcat before.  Maybe that's what got me around
the root user restriction.  Seems the simplest solution is to just use NAT.  There are instructions
at the bottom of this post for anyone else interested.

http://www.davidghedini.com/pg/entry/install_tomcat_7_on_centos

Cheers,
- Ole

On 02/07/2012 11:38 AM, John Renne wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the past I have been able to run tomcat on port 80 under a "tomcat" user.  It
seems like the latest versions of Fedora require that tomcat either be run as root or requests
to 8080 have to be redirected using iptables.   Can anyone confirm this?

> On each unix you will need root privileges to bind to a socket below 1024. Tomcat is
no different so it will need either root privileges, or a port over 1024 (default indeed 8080)