tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: manager comes up in Spanish -- how to switch to English?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:17:37 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/2/4 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>:
>> David Leung wrote:
>>> Hello!  I've looked at the FAQ and tried web searching, but can't find
>>> an answer to this, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.
>>>
>>> I downloaded apache-tomcat-7.0.25.exe today from both
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> In both cases, installation went smoothly, but when I navigated to
>>>  http://localhost/manager/html
>>> I got the Manager page in what I believe is Spanish: "Gestor do
>>> Aplicaciones Web de Tomcat".
>>>
>>> Anyone know how I can switch this to English, please?
>>>
>> (...)
>>
>> .. and then I remember a case from some long time ago, where some other
>> application was setting the JVM's system language property, and it caused
>> the same funny effect.  That's because this being a global JVM property,
>> this one webapp setting it, influenced the behaviour of all other webapps,
>> manager included.
>>

> Andre,
>
> Full disclosure: in this specific case it happens to be a feature of
> the Manager web application in Tomcat 7, implemented in 7.0.5. From
> changelog:
>
>       <fix>
>         <bug>49426</bug>: Localize messages in the Manager application based
on
>         the Locale of the user rather than the default Locale of the server.
>         (markt)
>       </fix>

Thanks for the info.  I remember - because the case I mention above happened to me, a few

years ago - that finding the origin of the problem took us some time.

But in the bugfix mentioned above, what does "the Locale of the user" mean exactly ?
Is it the locale of the user-id under which Tomcat runs, or the remote user's browser
preferences ?
(Because in the case of a Windows host, the locale of the user-id running Tomcat can be
somewhat non-obvious)