tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kees Jan Koster <kjkos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] TC7 + AntCompiler problems with whitespace in pathname
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:27:16 GMT
On 17 jan. 2012, at 11:11, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Kees Jan Koster wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>> Now about whether this is a bug in Tomcat or its documentation : I am fairly
sure that not long ago, I saw a strong warning somewhere in the on-line Tomcat documentation,
about not using spaces in pathnames somewhere, as it was not supported by some component.
>> Perhaps the Tomcat start script can issue a warning in case spaces are found in the
path?
> You know, I think that this is a lost battle.  The habit is by now so entrenched that
there is probably nothing anyone can do by now to extirpate this, other than designing a new
OS where this is forbidden.  And you'd still have to deal with funny imported foreign file
names and paths.
> But I keep on reacting to issues to do with withespace in pathnames, just because I believe
that there is not one programmer alive in the whole world, who has not had some problem with
this at some point.
> So if you can save yourself the trouble, by installing Tomcat in some pathname which
makes sense and is not a pain to type and forget to quote somewhere, you'll always do yourself
a favor in the end.

> P.S. In our current globalised world, similar issues exist with filenames containing
characters that can perhaps be displayed everywhere, but not /typed/ on

Agreed on the lost battle part. My suggestion is merely to help people who never experienced
path issues like this before. It gives them a place to start looking when tomcat does not
work for them.

That is why I suggest to issue a warning and not rewrite the OS.

Kees Jan