tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rees <>
Subject Re: TC7 very slow SessionIdGenerator SecureRandom initialization
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:45:17 GMT
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<> wrote:
>> From: Pid []
>> > that's why the setting of /dev/./urandom is important, even
>> > though it would seem to be equivalent.
>> So editing the file fixes this, or just using the system property?
> Good question; I suspect either would work, but I've only ever used the system property.
> However, we still don't know definitively that lack of entropy is the cause of the problem

I can confirm that adding the system property eliminates the delay.

Watching /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail while Tomcat is
starting up shows that it drops from ~140-150 down to single digits
until Tomcat initializes.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message