tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rees <>
Subject Re: parallel webapp initialization
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:11:20 GMT
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
> I have added a patch based on the previous patches that adds:
> - threaded start/stop for Contexts
> - threaded start/stop for Hosts
> - threaded deployment
> Control over the number of threads is via server.xml and/or JMX. This
> can be changed dynamically.
> Review, feedback, testing etc. welcome.
> With 4 threads rather than the current 1 (on a 8-core machine), I saw a
> 20-25% improvement in start time with a large number of Contexts that
> all start quickly. I'd expect to see better results in situations where
> 1 few Contexts start slowly but most are quick.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I've started using this in Tomcat
7.0.25 with good results - have a Tomcat instance used for testing
with a couple dozen contexts that take a while to load each, but with
startStopThreads bumped up it reduces startup time from 60 seconds to
20 seconds using all available CPU cores.  Very helpful!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message