tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] TC7 + AntCompiler problems with whitespace in pathname
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:42:36 GMT
2012/1/17 Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster@gmail.com>:
> On 17 jan. 2012, at 11:11, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Kees Jan Koster wrote:
>>> Dear all,
sure that not long ago, I saw a strong warning somewhere in the on-line Tomcat documentation,
about not using spaces in pathnames somewhere, as it was not supported by some component.
>>> Perhaps the Tomcat start script can issue a warning in case spaces are found
in the path?
>> You know, I think that this is a lost battle.  The habit is by now so entrenched
that there is probably nothing anyone can do by now to extirpate this, other than designing
a new OS where this is forbidden.  And you'd still have to deal with funny imported foreign
file names and paths.
>> But I keep on reacting to issues to do with withespace in pathnames, just because
I believe that there is not one programmer alive in the whole world, who has not had some
problem with this at some point.
>> So if you can save yourself the trouble, by installing Tomcat in some pathname which
makes sense and is not a pain to type and forget to quote somewhere, you'll always do yourself
a favor in the end.

>> P.S. In our current globalised world, similar issues exist with filenames containing
characters that can perhaps be displayed everywhere, but not /typed/ on

> Agreed on the lost battle part. My suggestion is merely to help people who never experienced
path issues like this before. It gives them a place to start looking when tomcat does not
work for them.

> That is why I suggest to issue a warning and not rewrite the OS.

Installing into "Program Files" is per se flawed starting with
Microsoft's Vista. There are several reported problems in
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows

I mean, it is good place for CATALINA_HOME, but bad one for CATALINA_BASE.

It is good if you are just using Tomcat installed there with Eclipse
IDE (which creates its own CATALINA_BASE), but bad if you are really
going to run Tomcat from there.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko