tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Renne <j...@gniffelnieuws.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 - How to make an application available at www.mydomain.com
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:35:57 GMT

On Jan 29, 2012, at 1:27 PM, André Warnier wrote:

> Sorry to appear to pounce on you, but putting a <Context> element in server.xml
is discouraged, see here :
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction

No offense taken

> I am not myself an expert, so treat this with caution, but to summarise so far :

Same here, we're all doing the same, trying to be helpful in some way

> 1) the easiest and recommended way is to deploy the application as ${CATALINA_BASE}/webapps/ROOT.war.
That is the normal place for an application invoked as "/", it will not confuse anyone, and
it will work with or without a front-end.

This isn't what the original poster asked, he asked for a way without renaming

> 2) instead, in some cases (and only since Tomcat 7.x), you can use the "trick" indicated
previously by Pid

This isn't what the original poster asked, he was talking about Tomcat 6
> 3) place a Context description in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ROOT.xml,
with an attribute : docBase="(full path to the application's .war archive)"  (whatever you
decide to name the .war archive). Put the .war archive outside of tomcat's webapps directory
then, to avoid a double deployment.

This is a nice option, however putting war's outside of the webapps directory might be very
confusing.

> 4) deploy the application as you wish, and use VirtualHost and/or Rewrite and/or Proxy
rules at the front-end httpd level to achieve what you want.  But this is more complex to
do right as it appears initially. (You may have to be careful about links embedded inside
your pages, for example).

This is a nice solution too, however if an application for some reason uses applets or generates
it's URL's in a non-standard way, this might not work. I do realize the downsides of modifying
the server.xml and including a context element, but it might be a working approach and answers
the question the original poster has.

John